Monday, August 22, 2005

Quota System

I had talked about the "Quota" system a few days back in my post "Finally they made me happy" but this news made me re-write on the reservation policy again, but this time with more focus on the "Women's Quota" system.
The so called "Aaj Ki Naari" claims to be no way behind men and walks shoulder to shoulder with men. The female genes boast of their equality with men in each field and even of outshining them in certain areas. This is appreciable, very much appreciable and I clap for their achievement and success and the way they have come ahead to match the steps with the men. But I hate them when parallely they asks for "Women's Reservation". Why do they need reservation? If we are talking of bringing in equality, then their should be equality of "Opportunity” and not the equality of “Distribution”. Let us create an environment where we have equal opportunity for both men and women to “Compete” and whoever wins should hold the trophy.
We have “Women’s Quota” every where, In education, election tickets, railway tickets, Jobs etc etc. Why do they need that, if they have the guts and power to achieve by their knowledge, skill, hard work or what ever they have on basis of what they claim to be at par with men today?
The concern is, if we go ahead with this then next will be the demands from SC/ST, OBC and minority groups, result: hardly any seats left for the general mass and ten years down the line we may have to reverse the cycle and ask for “Men’s Quota” and reservations for people under “General” category.
Why not take the example from developed countries like US and UK where we do not have any such reservation system. We should be creating competition and not making arrangements for distribution. If I am better than my female counterpart, then it is me who is worthy of the seat and not she.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you..I am tired of the reservation crap in our country. It first started for SC/STs, then spread to MBCs/OBCs (in Tamil Nadu and few other states). Whatever is left in general category, now women want reservation too. Its so fricking beautiful.

I could have become a doctor or engineer, instead I had to study B.Sc. because of this reservation. I am well settled now, but thats due to hard work, luck and God's grace.